Concord Township is not permitted to collect hazardous waste.
Throughout the year, Delaware County organizes several Household Hazardous Waste Collection events.
For information about Delaware County’s Household Hazardous Waste program, visit their webpage at: https://www.delcopa.gov/recycle/hhw.html
Click Here for the 2019 list of Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events.
Household Battery Recycling
Visit the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection Household Battery Recycling web page for general battery information and battery recycling options.
Latex Paint – Not Hazardous
Latex or water-based paint is a safer substitute for oil-based paint. It is not hazardous. However, latex paint should be solidified before placing it out curbside with your trash.
- Remove the lid, place the paint can outside – away from children and pets – and allow it to harden.
- If the can is too full and will not harden, line a cardboard box with a heavy-duty trash bag.
- Place clay-based kitty litter inside the bag, then add the paint.
- If the paint is still runny, add shredded newspaper. Place all lids in this bag as well.
- Tie the bag inside the box and place at curbside with your trash.
Empty paint cans should be placed in the trash in a separate box. Ensure that all lids are removed.
Oil-based Paint – Hazardous
Oil-based paint will be accepted at Delaware County Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection events. Visit Delaware County’s Household Hazardous Waste webpage for more information and the schedule of collection events.
Preventing waste is the best, least expensive method of disposal. The Delaware County Solid Waste Authority offers the following tips:
- Buy only the amount of paint that you need and return unopened cans. If you need only a small amount to finish, exchange the unopened can for a quart.
- Use leftovers for second coats, touch-ups, painting fences, bird houses, basements. Give to a friend, neighbor, etc. or donate to a local theater group, school, etc.
- Latex paints can be blended together to produce beige or gray. Same with oil-based paints.However, do not mix oil-based with latex paint.
More information can be found at the county’s recycling website: